WP204/WP205 Meeting on 2012-12-14

From wiki.gpii
Jump to: navigation, search

Telephone Bridge

1. To talk free using the Web click: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/705233502 Be sure to set AUDIO to Mic and Speaker (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.

2. Or, call in using your telephone.

Meeting ID/Access code: 705-233-502

  • Australia: +61 (0) 7 3123 6029
  • Austria: +43 (0) 7 2088 1400
  • Belgium: +32 (0) 92 98 0592
  • Canada: +1 (416) 900-1165
  • Denmark: +45 (0) 69 91 88 62
  • Finland: +358 (0) 942 41 5778
  • France: +33 (0) 182 880 456
  • Germany: +49 (0) 898 7806 6461
  • Ireland: +353 (0) 14 845 976
  • Italy: +39 0 247 92 12 39
  • Netherlands: +31 (0) 208 080 379
  • New Zealand: +64 (0) 4 974 7215
  • Norway: +47 21 03 58 96
  • Spain: +34 911 82 9782
  • Sweden: +46 (0) 313 613 558
  • Switzerland: +41 (0) 225 3314 51
  • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 203 535 0621
  • United States: +1 (786) 358-5410

Important Information for the Meeting

This is a meeting of WP204 and WP205 (Matchmaker) within the European Project Cloud4All. However, the minutes of the meeting will be made available to the public to allow people outside Cloud4All to follow the development of the matchmaker. If, in the meeting, you want to share confidential information that should not appear in the public minutes, you need to state so in the meeting. This is in line with the Cloud4All Consortium Agreement, section 10.

Participants

  • Christophe, Gottfried (HdM)
  • Kasper (RtF-I)
  • Eleni (CERTH)
  • Javier Hernandez (Emergya)
  • Fausto (Tech)
  • Kostas (CERTH)
  • Claudia (TUD)

People invited in addition to Matchmaker team:

  • Javier (Emergya) - for input on Linux Gnome
  • Kasper - for architecture
  • Eleni - for questions related to the evaluation framework and scenarios

Approval: Minutes of the last WP204 meeting

Update: Activities

(See the preparations for the first evaluation phase, below.)

WP204/5 deliverables for 2012

See https://sites.google.com/site/cloud4allmanage/home/sp2.

We skipped this agenda item to focus on the first evaluation phase.

D204.1 Profile matching technical concept (due 2012-10-31)

ID205.1 Platform for experts to define a set of adaptation mechanisms for the virtual users in a specified use context (Report and prototype)

(See Matchmaker Configuration Mechanisms)

First Evaluation Phase

See also Cloud4All Testing and discussion at previous MM meeting.

Essential Registry Terms

HdM and TUD worked together to define a list of essential Registry terms that would address the needs of blind and visually impaired users. This work showed that some "common terms" would need to be added to the Registry, so new terms have been proposed. Both the available and the proposed Registry terms have been mapped to terms (or names for settings) for Windows and Linux Gnome. This work showed that some names of settings are missing, and that value ranges are sometimes also missing. See the Word document File:EssentialRegistryTermsForFirstEvalPhase 2012-12-13.docx.

Discussion on the function of a transformer:

  • There is a need for certain transformations in all matchmakers (e.g. volume expressed in % vs. in db)
  • Are transformations included in the semantic framework?

Decisions:

  • Use Windows/Linux and blind/VIP
  • Windows: NVDA, Narrator, Magnifier; also contrast, font size, etc.
  • Linux: ORCA, GNOME Shell Magnifier; also contrast, font size, etc.

Next steps:

  • Christophe to add the missing preference terms and mappings to the temp registry. (Done: 15 December 2012.)
  • Christophe to make a simple list of terms used in the Wiki. (all@cloud4all.info, architecture) (Done: see Cloud4all Testing: Essential Registry Terms and the e-mail from 15 December 2012.)
  • Claudia and Kostas to define the transformations (as part of the semantic framework).
  • Kasper (and architecture team) to implement the missing terms on the settings handlers.

More discussions to happen at the Pilot Testing preparation call on Monday 17 December.

We need to create example preference sets to support the development of the matchmakers. In particular, we need to know how to format the conditions. Gottfried will remind Andy to send out the decisions of the conditions task force. Christophe found out that obviously there is a JSON schema for conditions. Christophe will ask Vassilis to disseminate this information.

Conditions are currently not supported in the architecture. But we can request some specific conditions terms to be implemented if we know exactly what we need.

Possible applications to run on Windows / Linux:

  • Something that is tightly connected to the OS, e.g. Notepad (Windows) / gedit (Linux)
  • Something around reading, browsing, form filling
  • SP4 will think about applications, and discuss in the SP4 Monday meeting.

How to transfer the settings from Windows / Linux to the preference server?

  • Snapshotting tool, but nothing available yet.
  • Manually done by assistant. Some tool to select options from.
  • Preference management tool, but not ready yet. Need to talk with FHG about this. The tool will be ready for the tests, but will not be connected to the preference server.
  • Claudia will create sample profiles, to be discussed next Wed.

Evaluation Scenario

Proposed steps for the scenario (from a meeting on Monday, 10 December 2012):

  1. User + assistant configure platform/device A. The user confirms that the settings are best for them. These settings are stored.
  2. Based on the settings for platform A, the Matchmaker infers settings for platform B. These settings are stored. The user must not change the settings in this step. The user is asked a few questions about the usability of these inferred settings.
  3. User + assistant configure platform B. The user confirms that these settings are best for them. These settings are recorded. The "distance" between these settings and those inferred by the Matchmaker is calculated.

There is agreement on this scenario. A simple user task still needs to be defined. (See discussion above.)

TODO: Continue discussion on distance measure. (See also Matchmaker Benchmarking Metrics.) Not discussed in this meeting.

Questions for deliverable D402.1 and D402.2.1

  • How will N&P sets be captured during the tests? Live? (If yes, how?) Some time in advance of the tests? (See next question.) See above.
  • How long before the actual tests do you need the N&P set of the users been gathered, in order to insert them in the system? (How much time in advance? Will this involve screen capturing with a tool like Camtasia?)
  • How will the matchmakers be made available to the pilot sites? Plan A is to have them in the "Cloud", and plan B is to have the matchmakers installed locally at the test site. Not discussed in this meeting
    • Plan A could consist in running the statistics-based matchmaker on a server at HdM, and the rule-based matchmaker on a server at TUD. So at some point, IP addresses or URLs will need to be entered in a configuration file. The developers of the installation package (SILO) have been contacted to find out how to address practical questions like this.
    • Plan B will require installers for both matchmakers. In this case, too, some config info will be necessary, so the rest of the architecture components (esp. the Flow Manager) can find the matchmakers.

Next Meetings and Topics

  • Next meeting: Wed 19 December 2012, 2pm CET (since some persons are not available on 21 December)
  • Fri 4 January 2013, 2pm CET

Previous meetings: see Matchmaker Meetings

Next Topics

We need to organise a telecon on the Personal Control Panel (PCP). Discussions have started on the Architecture list.