User Preferences UX Meeting 2013-08-01
- Vivien's document
- Any missing points with the glossary (http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/GLOSSARY_WORKSPACE#Preferences_and_Settings_User_Activity_Spaces
- Questions on the WIKI - http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Preference_Design_Tools_Questions
- Is the PCP/PMT tool a browser-based or a stand-alone tool?
- What functionality will be part of online and which will be part of the offline?
- need use case for off-line (don't want to share with cloud)
- Questions about preview / save function - what happens when user tries to preview changes that dont apply to current device / context? - adding to that - if rcp/pcp/pmt are one tool and we want to have a smooth transition, how do we handle the preview, values of settings/preferences
A mock preview will be valuable to give a rough idea about what the implications are of changing that setting. Even if it's not applicable in the current device/context (within reason ofc). It should be made clear that the preview is not a 1:1 represenation of what they'll see on their device.
Matchmakers running locally?
- can't use the matchmaker unless you're online
- hasnt' been part of the plan to install matchmakers locally
Implications of having matchmakers locally
- Rules in rule-based matchmaker would need to be updated at regular intervals
- (Rule-based matchmakers is a rather big intall; currently includes Apache Jena)
- Statistical matchmaker would base inferences based on output of statistical analysis (this is how the statisical MM ran in the first pilot phase); this output file would need to be updated at regular intervals.
Agenda items for Tuesday meeting
- Preferences vs. Settings and adjusters (http://wiki.fluidproject.org/download/attachments/34570511/settings+adjusters+basic.pdf)
- Implications of chromeless vs. chrome-mode.. (ie. does chromeless mode require you to download it?, does chrome mode have the same privileges as a chromeless app)
"Skins" (and functionality?) need to address barriers to entry
- context-specific UI
- auto-adaptation by MM?
- user-adapted (through preferences/adjusters?) examples: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1166253.1166301 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8RhcWPJKc
- Joanna will create wireframes to show the mock preview (JOANNA)
- Clean up wiki references in GPII wiki (JESS)