D503.5 Task Force Meeting 2017-09-06

From wiki.gpii
Jump to: navigation, search

Note: This meeting is focused on discussing the progress on D503.5, and planning of the GPII standardization workshop in Brussels.

Connection Info

  • Wed Sep 6 at 3-4pm CEST Translate to local date & time
  • Connect by browser: Gotomeeting room 2
  • Connect by phone: Meeting ID and access code: 619-028-605
    • Belgium: +32 (0) 92 98 0592
    • France: +33 (0) 182 880 456
    • Germany: +49 (0) 811 8899 6975
    • Netherlands: +31 (0) 208 080 379
    • Spain: +34 911 82 9782
    • Switzerland: +41 (0) 225 3314 51
    • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 203 535 0621
    • United States: +1 (786) 358-5410

Attendance

Present: Andy Heath (initially), Carla, Estelle, Ignacio, Marco, Gottfried, Gregg, Shadi (initially)

Regrets:

Progress on: D503.5 Implementation Resources for ETSI EN 301 549

Proposal: ETSI 301 549 as Google Doc (Note: do not annotate this working draft directly.)

Original title (DoW): "Application Guidelines, policy and standards recommendations"

Process for contributing to the DSpace:

  • Developers can post their components as candidates for the DSpace, and describe it in a web form.
  • Experts review the queue of candidates (curation), and do some additional tagging.
  • Developers are notified about the curation.
  • We expect a maximum number of 600 for DSpace items (queue to be curated).

We need a standard process for this, so that components are described in a consistent manner.

Levels of support between DSpace components and ETSI EN 301 549 provisions:

  1. Background information
  2. Guidance on how to fulfill a provision
  3. Tool/library/code to partially fulfill a provision (WCAG 2.0 language: "advisory technique")
  4. Tool/library/code to fully fulfill a provision (WCAG 2.0 language: "sufficient technique")

In addition, we mark those items where we do not provide a mapping, by "no mapping" ("L0") + a free text for explanation.

For classification, a third party expert is needed - the developer does not necessarily have the expertise for this.

In addition, an explanatory text can be added, explaining the relationship, and other things (optionally).

The following process was proposed in the last web conference for DSpace population:

  1. Initial population of items in mapping of DSpace items (see mapping table)
    • Experts (Ignacio) tagging by: user needs, accessibility masterlist, technologies, topics, format of docs.
    • 4 levels of support
  2. There could to be a "hand-over" telecon to the DSpace coordination team (end of August - Till will schedule if needed).
    • Other experts need to fully map the DSpace items.
  3. Experts add mapping information (class of relationship, explanatory text) until launch at AAATE conference (Sep. 13, 2017).
  4. After the launch, developers can contribute candidate items. Optionally with some tagging information?
  5. Experts curate the queue of candidates.

Issues (to be discussed among Matthias, Till, Igancio, Gregg, Gottfried):

  • How to implement the mapping? As separate document, or as tagging in the DSpace?
  • How deep should the mapping be? 2 or more digits into the structure.
  • Should we quote the ETSI provision for better understanding?

Timeline:

  • 2017-07-31: Futher fill Mapping table, in particular assign levels of support (Estelle, Ignacio, Gottfried, Marco)
  • 2017-08-31: Mapping finished by standardization team (as a model for other DSpace items).
  • 2017-09-06: Freezing of mapping table
  • 2017-09-07: Gottfried to produce a privision-sorted table from the mapping table.
  • 2017-09-13 (AAATE): DSpace mapped to ETSI standard (not necessarily fully)
    • Gregg: Quicksheet needed for legislation in Europe
  • 2017-10-13: Standardization workshop in Brussels - get feedback from commission and policy makers
  • 2017-11-15: Document D503.5 ready for P4a-internal review
  • 2017-11-30: Feedback from P4a-internal review
  • 2017-12-15: Deliverable D503.5 ready for submission to European Commission

Big Question: How to tag the DSpace?

Two options:

  1. Use textual tags on DSpace items, indicating the support level and the ETSI standard provision. Example: "ETSI301549-9.2-L3" = Partial fulfill (L3) for provision 9.2.
    • Pro: Users can search for components by provision in the DSpace itself, everything linked together.
    • Con: New DSpace items need to be tagged.
  2. Separate document (table) listing the mappings, sorted by ETSI standard provision.
    • Pro: Less effort in setting up and maintenance.
    • Con: More cumbersome to look up mappings in a separate place. New DSpace components will likely not be mapped (since developers won't care about a separate mapping table).

Planning for "Workshop on GPII and standardization"

The P4a DoW mentions in T502.2: "The project partners shall participate in a series of meetings, conferences and workshops to address the different target audiences."

A standardization workshop is planned by P4a in Brussels, Fraunhofer offices, on Fri Oct 13, 2017, 1-5pm CEST, with invitations to ETSI, CEN/CENELEC, AENOR, ANEC, EDF, EC DG-CONNECT, and possibly other standardization officers and politicians.

Workshop page on GPII wiki

Timeline:

  • DONE: Room booked (Fraunhofer offices)
  • DONE 2017-07-19 Circulate draft invitation letter and list of people to invite to Gottfried, Matthias, Gregg (Estelle)
  • DONE 2017-07-24 Send out letter of invitation (Carla)
    • Provide a web form for registration 
    • We need to explain GPII in the invitation
    • Limited number of seats
    • 3 people have already signed up
    • Carla: Send registration confirmation and detailed draft agenda. Ask for additional agenda items.
  • 2017-09-13 Send invitation reminder and information on DSpace launch to invited people (Carla)
  • 2017-10-02 Skype call for preparation of information materials (Estelle, Carla, Gregg, Gottfried)
  • 2017-10-05 Registration deadline
  • 2017-10-06 Send all meeting documents to registered people (Carla)
  • 2017-10-06 Logistics (number of participants, food, equipment) (Estelle)
  • 2017-10-13 1-5pm CEST: Workshop in Brussels
  • 2017-10-xx Dissemination report... (Carla)

Room equipment: Wifi, projector, equipment for remote meeting (microphones, camera)

Summary of action items

  • Estelle, Marco, Gottfried, Ignacio: Continue to identify possible mappings -> mapping table.
  • Carla: Think about 30-sec video as an invitation to the workshop
  • Estelle, Carla, Marco, Gottfried: Send a message to the other editors once your are done with your mappings. Once all are done, Gottfried to send a message to Till, Gregg, Ignacio, Matthias.

Next Meetings

  • Another web meeting for final preps for workshop?
  • Fri Oct 13, 1-5pm CEST Standardization workshop in Brussels

Appendix: Background: D503.5 Application Guidelines, policy and standards recommendations

Task: T503.3 Standardization and concertation activities

Delivery date: Jan. 2018 (month 48)

Description: In the DoW, what comes closest to a description for this deliverable is as follows:

  • "This task will also propose a set of guidelines valid for the applications considered in the project and applicable also to new applications and mainstream ICT devices. These guidelines will provide best practices associated with the role and responsibilities of all stakeholders in the design, development and deployment of accessibility solutions."

At the all-hands meeting 2017 in Stuttgart, we decided to work on an annotation tool for ETSI 301 549 as an implementation guidance for developers and project managers. It should tell them how to make it easy to comply with ETSI 301 549. This is of particular interest to us since ETSI 301 549 is the technical basis for the European Directive on Accessibility of the websites and mobile applications of public sector bodies of Oct. 2016. We believe that this directive will be a major driver for accessibility of Websites and mobile apps in Europe in the coming years. And for us, it seems to be a good opportunity to describe how the P4a tools and tutorials can be used to fulfill specific provisions of ETSI 301 549.

Note: ETSI EN 301 549 is planned to be revised in the coming 15 months to better address the new scope of the directive, i.e. including mobile apps.