NOTE: If you find this component useful or want to comment leave a short message on the discussion page of this component
Amara is a platform for:
- individuals who want to create captions to improve accessibility of their own media
- individuals who need to request low-cost captions or translations for accessibility reasons
- individuals who want to create captions or translations for the benefit of others
- developers who would like to contribute code
- community members who want to contribute to the code localization project
- Media producer, captions video: A video maker has created a video that is hosted on a popular hosting service that supports caption tracks. They'd like to create captions in order to make the content of their video more accessible.
- Deaf or hard of hearing individual requires captions: A deaf or hard of hearing individual would like a particular video from a popular hosting service captioned. They submit it to the Amara captions requested team for captions.
- A multi-lingual individual wants to donate their skills: A individual who is fluent in more than one langauge wants to help make media more globally accessible. They join the amara volunteer team and translates videos that are interesting and important.
Amara is AGL 3.0 licensed and only uses compontants with the same or compatible licensing.
Status, Known Issues & Planned Work
Status and known issues for amara are listed on our issue tracker
Planned work for the P4All project:
- Modularize the media transformation software platform to enable community/crowd improvement of code
- Implement subtitle editor modifications to better support real-time collaboration for near-real time captioning
- Update the User Interfaces to allow captioning by users and communities that primarily use phones and tablets
- Add support for additional media types and hosting platforms including subtitle editor compatibility